Wednesday, October 3, 2007

FINALLY AN UPDATE

So sorry. We have had so much trouble with the internet in our room. I have tried to post many times with pictures and it keeps kicking me off. I'm posting from the hote business center so this is just a message - no pictures. Those may have to wait until we get home - believe me, there are some good ones.

We are doing GREAT! Caroline is absolutely amazing. We are on day 3 together and we are really connecting. I had no idea I would love this much this soon. She is the sweetest baby - very funny. I am quickly learning her personality and little traits. She loves her Aunt Amy and her mommy. We have her smiling and laughing a lot. I wish I could post pictures - I will as soon as I can.

We are heading to Kazakhzstan in about 4 hours for the remainder of the trip. Everything is final here in Kyrgyzstan but we have to go there for the final paperwork and a few appointments tomorrow. We are very ready to come home - one more week. The people here are nice - a little hard to communicate as they all speak Kyrgyz or Russian but we are getting by. There are quite a few people who speak English and we have two facilitators who are with us whenever we go out so that has been a blessing. Our money is going far - $1 USD = $35 Kyrgyz money. Had to buy Caroline some warmer clothes today - it is cold here.

We had a slight delay in getting here - spent 24 hours in the Turkey airport - not fun a little scary! Turkish Air oversold the flight to Kyrgyzstan and by the time we got to Turkey from our flight from Munich it was only about an hour before the plane left and all the other passengers had checked in and they did not have seats for me and Amy. We were very upset and angry but nothing we could do about it. They got us a room at the airport hotel, gave us each $250 USD and paid for dinner and put us in first class on the same flight the next day. Thank God we had the extra day built in. By this time Amy and I were so tired we each took 2 Tylenol PM and fell asleep at 9pm until 11am the next morning - good 14 hours of sleep. I'm sure I won't get that again for quite awhile. Guess it was a blessing in disguise.

We made it to the hotel in Kyrgyzstan at 3:00am on Monday and left for the orphanage at 11am. I had Caroline in my arms by 12:30 on Monday October 1st (Gotcha Day).

I can't wait to post pictures - she is so cute.

Kyndra,
Tell your mom she loves the stuffed kitty - I have some cute pictures of her with it.

Chris and Brian,
We miss you!

Mom, Dad and Kathy,
We miss you two. Caroline can't wait to meet her grandparents. I have told her so much about you. You will love her!

Love,
Gretchen, Amy and Caroline

4 comments:

Darlene said...

It is great to get an update! I have been getting some information from Jean. Give the luckiest girl in the world a kiss for me! Love, Darlene, Dan, Kate, Jack and Meredith

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you guys made it safe and sound and that all is going great. I cannot wait to see you and her together.
love you tons.
Kyn

Traci said...

Gretch & Amy - so glad to hear from you guys! Happy to hear that everything is going great. We'll be getting on the plane ourselves in just a few short hours. We'll be here when you get back. Can't wait!! Emma is so excited to meet Caroline. Love you guys! Take care & be safe. See ya soon. Love Traci & Emma

Joyce said...

So glad all is well with you and Caroline, and you're so lucky to have Amy with you. It was sweet to hear that Caroline likes the kitty. Can't wait to see you all. Love, Joyce